Friday, June 12, 2026

Painting The Lake

 June 12, 2026

I surprised myself today. Jessica had been mentioning our water painting class all week and I had initially tuned my nose up. I do NOT paint. My mom instilled in me at a young age that painting is not my calling because it requires failure to succeed and I took it too seriously to accept that fact. Like many other things, I wanted to be perfect. I knew going into our semi-guided class with Tamara Richey that my painting was not going to be perfect, and given the talent in the group, it wasn't going to be the best either. But there was something so inviting about Tamara. She made us feel welcomed and taken care of. She offered her supplies, sunscreen, towels, and guidance most of all. There was no competitiveness or rush within her words and that made me feel welcomed. 



I sat quietly as I painted, taking in the sounds of the waves washing on the shore. Surprisingly, my painting turned out really special. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it wasn't a waste of time either. I think the best thing was that we all got to take a break and relax. Hiking, driving around, sitting in meetings, and doing schoolwork can be surprisingly draining and I think painting on the beach was fantastic way to relax and bond. 

No comments:

Post a Comment