June 9th
The cabin was humongous. Big enough to sleep 16 people, we weren’t in a fight to claim beds… except for me and Natalia. We ran room to room looking for the best one. We decided on the only room on the second floor with a patio because the view was just astonishing. The sun was shining through the pines in a manner they only describe in books. We all got settled into our rooms and headed to Base Camp pizza for our first group dinner. The stores surrounding the restaurant reminded me of Breckenridge in Colorado. The brick architecture and gift shops were welcoming. The pizza was average. While we indulged I recognized a song the live artist was playing. It was Texas Sun by Kruangbin. That was a special moment for the group and I think it reminded me of how special this opportunity was. To be surrounded by new friends and beautiful scenic views, I knew it was going to be a trip to remember.
June 10th
This morning was one of the most peaceful mornings I have had in a long time. No obligations, no worries, no responsibilities other than getting to the van for our boat tour to Emerald Bay. I had a wonderful breakfast and a cup of coffee and just got to sit in the quiet. The sun was shining into the living room and warmed the hardwood under our feet. The air was crisp and dry. It was a nice change from the humidity of Texas summers. I was especially excited for the day. Our van loaded up and headed for the lake. This was going to be our first time seeing the lake up close and it lived up to all of our expectations. I had always heard the lake being described as glistening and was overwhelmed by the beauty. The water was crystal clear and inviting.
As we boarded the boat I had realized the group stuck out like a sore thumb with all of our tripods, cameras, and southern draws. The boat was 3 stories and just utterly spacious. I had found a spot next to a kind man. He had asked me where the group was from and we indulged in conversation over media. He studied at the University of Memphis and funny enough majored in communication. He also said he had a hobby in photography and showed me some photos he had taken. I went around the boat and took as much content as possible. It is public outings like this that make me desperately want to people watch. Being in close proximity to people, you can pick up on a lot of unique stories. When we docked, I was really excited to see all of the recreation around me. Kayaking, parasailing, jetskiing, paddle boarding, etc. I figured if I were given the option I could spend my whole day watching humans interact and be utterly careless together.
No comments:
Post a Comment